This is an essential handbook for anyone interested in mentoring. It presents the evidence and conclusions that P/PV compiled from over a decade of research on mentoring programs in five crucial areas:
- Can participating in mentoring programs make important and observable changes in the attitudes and behaviors of at-risk youth?
- Are there specific practices that characterize effective mentoring relationships?
- What program structures and supports are needed to maximize "best practices" among mentors?
- Can mentoring be integrated into large-scale youth-serving institutions?
- Are there large numbers of adults with enough flexible time and emotional resources to take on the demands of mentoring at-risk youngsters?
The report also includes as an appendix the executive summaries of eleven P/PV reports on mentoring.