The relationship between a mentor and a young person might seem to be a natural connection, but like anyone stepping into a new role, mentors will be more likely to succeed if they participate in useful training sessions. This packet focuses on training new mentors and includes suggested activities for two workshops that, together, add up to between five and six hours of training. Training activities help programs accomplish the following:
- Help participants understand the scope and limits of their role as mentors.
- Help them develop the skills and attitudes they need to perform well in their role.
- Introduce them to the concept of positive youth development.
- Provide information about the strengths and vulnerabilities of the children or youth in the program.
- Provide information about program requirements and supports for mentors.
- Answer questions.
- Build the confidence of participants.
The activities can be easily adapted to address individual program contexts.